City of Williams Resolution 368-23
ADOPTION OF EARNED SICK AND SAFE TIME POLICY
WHEREAS, the State of Minnesota has adopted Minn. Stat. §181.94445, Subd 6, Earned Sick and Safe Time.
WHEREAS, the City of Williams strives to comply with State Laws.
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that if the City of Williams does adopt a Earned Sick and Safe Time Policy which is as follows:
Employees earn 1 hour or ESST for every 30 hours worked up to _36_ hours per year. Unused time can be carried over from year to year with a maximum of _80_ ESST available to employees. Employees begin accruing ESST after working the first 80 hours. After the first 80 hours of work, the ESST time will begin accruing retroactively (to the first day of employment). A YEAR IS JANUARY 1 TO DECEMBER 31.
Use of ESST
Employees who have worked 80 hours for the city may begin to use accrued ESST as it is earned. ESST may be used in 15-minute increments. Employee will receive their regular hourly rate for ESST used.
• Employee or family member’s mental or physical illness, treatment or preventive care; (illness).
• Employee or family member’s absence due to domestic abuse, sexual assault, or stalking; (safety)
• Closure of the employee’s workplace due to weather or public emergency or closure of a family member’s school or care facility due to weather or public emergency; (closure) and
• When determined by a health authority or health care professional that the employee or family member is at risk or infecting others with a communicable disease. (illness)
Who is a Family Member
• Their child, including foster child, adult child, legal ward, child for whom the employee is legal guardian or child to whom the employee stands or stood in loco parentis;
• Their spouse, or registered domestic partner;
• Their sibling, step sibling or foster sibling;
• Their biological, adoptive or foster parent, stepparent or a person who stood in loco parentis when the employee was a minor child;
• Their grandchild, foster grandchild or step grandchild;
• Their grandparent or step grandparent;
• A child of a sibling of the employee (niece, nephew);
• A sibling of the parents of the employee (aunts, uncles);
• A child-in-law or sibling-in-law;
• Any of the above family members of a spouse or registered domestic partner;
• Any other individual related by blood or whose close association with the employee is the equivalent of a family relationship;
• Up to one individual annually designated by the employee
Who is eligible for ESST
• An employee who performs work for the city for at least 80 hours in a year.
o Full time
o Part time
o EXCLUDING CONTRACTORS
Notification of Use
Employees are to notify their supervisor of known forthcoming time off needed 7 days prior to taking time off. For unforeseen circumstances, employees are to notify their supervisor as soon as practicable.
Termination of Employment
Upon termination of employment whether by the employee or employer, unused EEST will be paid out to the employee at a rate of _80__%.
The motion for adoption of this resolution was made by ________________ and seconded by ______________.
Vote: Chad Lundsten (___); Leslie Huerd (_____); Jana Kukowski (_____); Gary Van De Hey (_____); ________________ (____)
Chad Lundsten, Mayor
WITNESS MY HAND AND SEAL OF OFFICE at Williams, Minnesota this 11th day of September 2023, A.D.
City Clerk Administrator
Please support the Northern Light Region by subscribing today!